Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 2 .... along with 122F temps for company


(Click link above)


Day 2 was the toughest challenge yet.  Starting with a 300m climb up the Orange River gorge gave the athletes a taste of what lay ahead.

“The first climb set the tone for the day.” – Brett.

With a staggering temperature that reached 122F (50C) Brett finished day two in 7h10.  Some were not so fortunate.  Five competitors were withdrawn from the race due to a prior a hernia issue and heat exhaustion.  An emotional end to a goal set high.  These athletes will return to the Augrabies Falls Lodge for the duration of the race and return to Johannesburg along with their fellow athletes that took part in this extreme marathon(s).

Each day that I open up the race results I hold my breath as I scroll down the screen in search of Brett's name.  So far, it has appeared as wished and I get to take that next breath.  

From watching the YouTube clip from yesterday, the grueling sand and intense heat is taking its toll on the athletes.  I can see the energy depleting in each of their faces as the days progress.  It's plain and simply just long!  Long and hot and lonely during those many hours of continued movement.  I wonder what goes through their minds with so much time to do little but focus on themselves, their bodies and their minds.   

While we brace ourselves for hurricane Sandy, I can't help but appreciate the times I have had Brett at home to help pack away garden furniture and loose items outside or secure the trash barrels.  It isn't fun but it's now taken care of.  

Thanks for following.

Love and Peace,
T
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment